Accessible 24 hours a day, the Cherbourg harbour is located in the middle of the largest European artificial sea wall, amazing construction built in the 17th and 18th centuries. With its three dikes, it shelters four harbours: sailing, commercial, fishing and military.
Built in 1975, then enlarged in 1992, labelled European blue flag since 2002, Port Chantereyne is the main harbour on the Manche coast. It has 1 560 berths available, spread on over 25 docks: 1 300 berths are rented annually, the other 260 being reserved for visitors. Further more, twenty berths are reserved to old riggings in the little port de l’Epi, situated in the avant-port.
In 2009, the marina registered over 9 000 stop-over and 26 000 nights.
An important extension project west-ward is planned, in order to allow 600 more boats to stay in port Chantereyne (around 400 berths in water and 200 outside).
Link to Port Chanteryne’s website
Providing all at one the management of the port of goods and the transportation of passengers, Port de Cherbourg SAS is co-managed by the CCI Cherbourg-Cotentin and Louis Dreyfus Armateurs. Four regular ferry lines leaving Cherbourg link Normandy to England and Ireland. More information: Irish Ferries www.IrishFerries.fr or 00 332 33 23 44 44 and Brittany ferries http://www.brittany-ferries.fror 00 332 33 88 44 88.
The Quai de France also regularly welcomes liners (see stop-over calendar)
Looking for new developments, the port created a terminal dedicated to coal traffic.
Link towards www.port -cherbourg.com/
The fishing port develops its activity around the tide centre. Built in 1952 by the town council, it was transferred in 1961 to the Cherbourg-Cotentin Commerce and Industry Chamber. Its first mission is to guaranty a transparency in the sell of sea foods, through an auction sell.
Link towards www.peche-cherbourg.com